Today I’m going to talk about Part B of Unit 2, PEP Primary English, Book 3. This lesson includes two parts: Let’s talk and let’s practice.
In section 1, it mainly deals with the dialogue about “What’s in the school bag?” and the answers.
And in section 2, it provides a real situation for the Ss to practise the pattern: How many +n.(pl.)+ do you have? And the answer: I have … +n.(pl.)
1. Aims on the knowledge (1) To enable the Ss to understand and speak: “My schoolbag is heavy. What’s in it? Thank you so much.” Make sure that Ss can use these sentences in real situations.
(2) To help Ss finish the survey.
2. Aims on the abilities (1) To develop Ss’ abilities of listening and speaking.
(2) To train the Ss’ ability of working in groups.
(3) To foster Ss’ abilities of communication and their innovation.
3. Aims on the emotion (1) To foster Ss’ consciousness of good co-operation and proper competition. (2) To lead Ss to show their loveliness to the poor.
(1) To help Ss ask and answer the question: What’s in it?
(2) To enable Ss to study in groups and co-operate skillfully.
(3) To develop Ss’ interests in English.
Difficult points (1) To help the Ss ask and answer the question “What’s in it?” and make sure they can use the plural nouns correctly. (2) To finish the survey by themselves.
Teaching procedures and purposes of my designing. I’ll finish this lesson in five steps.
Step 1. Warm-up and preview 1. Free talk between T and Ss about things in the classroom.
2. Sing the song together: Books and pencils.
3. Do some TPR, for example: Show me your English book. Show me your crayon. 4. Review the numbers by asking: “How many crayons do you have?”
Purpose: It is important to form a better English learning surrounding for the Ss by singing and doing some total physical response and at the same time it provides situations to review learned knowledge for the next step.
Step 2. Presentation
Now I’ll mainly talk about this step.
1. Present the pattern: “My schoolbag is heavy.” “What’s in it?.”
(1) Show a bag and say: “Look! I have a bag.” Carry it and say: “Oh, it is heavy. My schoolbag is heavy.” Help the Ss understand the meaning with the help of my body language.Then lead the Ss to read the sentence. Make sure they can say it correctly.
(2) T: My schoolbag is heavy. Open the bag and say: “What’s in it? What’s in my schoolbag?” Take out a Chinese book. Then do the action again. Let the Ss read the sentence.2. Play a guessing game. Divide the whole class into four groups to have a competition.
Let them guess: What’s in the bag? How many? Purpose: To present the key structures one by one is much easier for the Ss to learn and grasp the meanings. Proper competition can arouse the Ss’ interest in English learning.
3. With the help of the CAI to present the dialogue. Set a situation to help Ss understand: Two Ss are coming. One girl is carrying a heavy bag on her back. They are talking.
Girl: My schoolbag is heavy. Boy: What’s in it?Girl: 20 story-books, 32 pencil, 9 rulers, 12 crayons and 30 picture-books. Etc.
Boy: What will you do? Girl: They are for the poor.
Boy: Great! I’ll bring some school things too.
The boy comes back home and puts a lot of things into the bag. Then he goes to school again and gives them to a teacher. While he is taking them out, he is counting the numbers of all things. The teacher says: Thank you so much.
4. Mention that we should take care of the poor.
5. Play the cassette. Let the Ss listen and imitate the dialogue. Pay attention to their pronunciation and intonation. Purpose: CAI can provide a real situation for the Ss to understand the dialogue and the relationships between people better. Tell the Ss we should show our loveliness to the Ss.
Step 3. PracticeDivide Ss into groups of six children.
Each one would finish the printed form by asking and answering: How many storybooks do you have? Find out which group finishes faster. Story books picture-books sharpeners crayons pencils erasers pencil-cases rulers Chen Jie 8 24 3 32 26 4 1 3 Purpose: Task-based teaching method is used here to develop Ss’ ability of communication and also their ability of co-operation will be well trained.
Step 4. Consolidation
Help Ss finish “Let’s check” of this unit and workbook. Purpose: To check the knowledge Ss have learned in this period.
Step 5. Extension
Let Ss tell each other how many school things they have after class. Tell their parents how many school things they have at home. 2. Take care of everything they have.
Purpose: Revision is so important that Ss should speak English as much as they as in class or after class.